Monday, November 3, 2014

Love and Cilantro-Lime Corn Couscous

I received free samples of Libby’s new Vegetable Pouches mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Libby’s and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.


What a week it has been! I found out this past Sunday that I matched with my first choice for a dietetic internship. 

Now, I am sure you wondering to yourself...what does that mean?

Well, in order to become a licensed Registered Dietitian, you must complete a dietetic internship where you essentially are trained how to be a dietitian, mostly in a clinical setting (aka hospitals), and other areas of the profession. It is the last stage in the process, which also qualifies you to take a licensing exam.

Basically what I have been working my butt off for the last 3 years. So I am just thrilled, excited and feeling very blessed.

I have been waiting for several weeks to find this out so in the meantime, I have been distracting myself by working on an awesome recipe for the Recipe Redux's latest challenge -- to create delicious appetizers, soups, salads and side dishes in 10 minutes or less using Libby’s!

What are Libby's, you ask?


They are these awesome little veggie packs. They are microwavable, which makes them so EASY to use, they take up less space in your pantry (which is perfect for a small kitchen like mine) and environmentally friendly! They use 75% less energy to produce pouch packaging.

I was excited to try something out, and love the challenge of making something in 10 minutes or less.

It made me feel like I was on Chopped or something. Kind of.


Anyway, these little guys come in different types, including sweet corn, sweet peas and green beans. They are currently available at Walmart, but will be available nationally soon.

When I think of making something fast, couscous comes to mind because it takes almost no time to cook. You make a quick, sweet broth using some of the corn and the juice. It is dressed in some cilantro, lime and olive oil to liven it up but it is pretty amazing on its own.

I love taking couscous and turning it into a salad by adding some more fresh veggies and some vinaigrette! So so good!

Let's get to it!



Cilantro-Lime Corn Couscous Salad
Servings: 5
Serving Size: 1/2 cup


Ingredients

Corn Couscous

1 Libby's Sweet Corn pouch
1 cup low sodium vegetable broth or stock
1 cup baby spinach
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed (using garlic press)
1 tbsp dry white wine
1 tbsp olive oil
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup couscous

Cilantro-Lime Dressing

Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions

1. Heat olive oil on medium heat in sauce pan. While it is heating up, put the Libby's Sweet Corn pouch in the microwave for 45 seconds.When pouch is done, take out and drain saving the liquid!
2. Begin to saute shallot, for about 1 minute until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. 
3. Add white wine, deglaze bottom of pan and add vegetable broth and the juice from corn. Add about 1/4 cup of the corn as well.
4. Stir in salt and pepper. When broth has boiled, add remaining corn. 
5. Finish by adding couscous, spinach and remove from heat. Stir and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
6. Serve and toss with the dressing ingredients, and add in cherry tomatoes.

Simply delicious and done in 10 minutes!




Serve with a lean protein and some more veggies, and you have a PERFECT meal.

You can also have this without the cilantro-lime dressing, and have it as a hot side.

However you do it, make it how you love it!


As always, hope you enjoy!

Lots of LOVE (from a future DIETITIAN!), 

Eva







6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Congrats on your internship!! I remember that feeling :) Such relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK you so much! I am very excited!

      Delete
  2. First off - congrats on your internship match! It's such a shame that it's such a hard process these days but I'm sure it's such a relief for you to find out. And any excuse I get to eat couscous, I'm in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna! I am excited for this final stage :) and I am the same with couscous, it is one of my absolute favorites!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your internship! Couscous is one of my quick meal go-tos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cindy! Love how convenient (and delicious) couscous is too!

    ReplyDelete