Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Love and Maple-Spiced Breakfast Sausage


While vacationing with my family this summer, I tried some breakfast sausage.

I'm sure I've had it before, but this was the first time in a while. And it was so delicious.
It quickly became something I wanted to order again and again. 

However, it is incredibly unhealthy. High fat, high sodium, and all sorts of other stuff. 

So when trying to come up with an idea for this month's Recipe Redux theme, Spooky Spices, I thought of trying to make my own version of breakfast sausage.



I  am not a big spice user. I will use a little here and there, but I have never really known what spices to use. Or how much to use. So I dug through the spices and through a little trial and error, came up with an awesome recipe.

The best part of cooking with spices is that you have so many ways of enhancing the flavor of the dish without adding the things that are bad for us. It's an important tool when learning to cook healthy foods. 

I am also all about sweet and savory dishes this Fall, so these little guys are no different.


In order to drop our fat content down, I used ground chicken. You can also use ground turkey, which might have a slightly higher fat content.  However, either is a good choice here! 

Lets get cooking! 





Maple-Spiced Breakfast Sausage
Servings: 5

Serving Size: 2 sausages

Ingredients

1 lb. ground chicken
1/4 onion, extra finely minced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed
1/2 tsp ground rosemary
3/4 tsp ground sage
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients into bowl. 
2. Let sit in refrigerator for about an hour. 
3. Form small patties that are uniform in size and thin. This ensures it can be fully cooked. It helps to wet your hands with a little water, so the mixture doesn't stick to your hands.
4. On medium to low heat, cook sausage on both sides until fully cooked.
5. Serve and enjoy!




These little guys are so tasty with the addition of the maple syrup, but only a light drizzle!

An even better way to eat these is to serve them with a piece of toast, sauted spinach and a fried egg.


So amazingly good.

These take a little work but they are well worth it. You can make them the night before, refrigerate overnight and make them fresh in the morning.

Delicious, healthy side for any breakfast.

As always, I hope you enjoy!

Lots of LOVE,

Eva



4 comments:

  1. I too am a huge fan of the sweet/savory combination. These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet/savory is the best!

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Eva

      Delete
  2. I've never attempted to make my one sausage but this recipe may change that! Love the sweet/savory combo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first attempt too and it was great! Hope you enjoy it!

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Eva

      Delete