Monday, October 27, 2014

Love and Cream of Mushroom Spaghetti Squash


When I was younger, my mom used to make this cream of mushroom chicken dish that was my absolute favorite.

Although typically we would eat fresh, traditional Russian dishes, this dish, which was made from a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, was a special treat.

I absolutely adored it.



So when I started thinking of it lately, I knew I would have to recreate it with a healthy spin. And I am SO glad I did. 

It's creamy, comforting and a perfect dish for cool, Fall nights. 

I first tried to make everything fresh b
ut I quickly realized this would be a great recipe to use leftovers for, specifically chicken and spaghetti squash.  (Follow the link for instructions on how to make fresh spaghetti squash)


This super quick meal has tons of flavor and so damn tasty.

Let's get cooking!


Cream of Mushroom Spaghetti Squash
Servings: 2


Ingredients
2 cups vegetable stock or broth (chicken broth is fine too)
10 cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp dry white wine
1/2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp half and half
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 leftover chicken breast, shredded
1/2 of a spaghetti squash (strands, no shell)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 sprigs of fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 cup baby spinach


Directions

1. Heat olive oil in shallow saute pan on medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes, until browned. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add flour and stir to let cook about 1 minute. 
3. Add white wine to deglaze pan and let bubble until alcohol has cooked out. This should take less than a minute. Add stock and stir. Bring up to a boil.
4. After the sauce boils, lower heat and let reduce for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. When sauce has reduced in half, add half and half, Parmesan, parsley and stir. Once cheese has melted, add shredded chicken and spaghetti squash. Toss sauce into chicken and spaghetti squash.
6. Add spinach until it has wilted, stirring continuously to ensure sauce covers everything.
7. Serve with fresh grated Parmesan on top!




I really love using spaghetti squash but this can be served in any other way. My mom used to make mashed potatoes and we would eat it that way. 

Or add some rice, pasta, quinoa or couscous. You can also just eat it as a sauce with chicken.



As always, I hope you enjoy!

Lots of LOVE,

Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment