Saturday, June 21, 2014

Love and Lavender-Lemon Chia Pudding

When I found out this month's theme for the Recipe Redux was Floral Flavors, I was immediately scared.

I love the smell of some flowers, but to be honest, a few flowers have an aroma that is  just way too strong for me.

Especially lavender. 

So why on Earth am I making a lavender recipe?

Well, I like the challenge and I was curious if the taste would be too strong for me too.

I've also been thinking of ways to spice up chia pudding and I thought this was just the idea I've been looking for.


Let me tell you though, lavender for cooking/drinking/consuming purposes is not an easy thing to find. But after much searching, I finally got my hands on some dried lavender flowers at Philly's own Reading Terminal Market.

Now, for those of you who are unfamiliar with chia seeds, they are these awesome little nutrient packed seeds that are filled with a bunch of goodness.

They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids (those GOOD fats you're always hearing about), fiber, protein and other nutrients and minerals including iron, zinc and calcium. 

All that in those little seeds? Count me in!

They also expand when you put them into liquid and thus, create a pudding like texture. This is a recipe you have to make ahead time, as the chia seeds must sit in the liquid for a few hours (or overnight) so they can expand into the pudding.



Lavender pairs well with honey or lemon, so I decided to go with lemon because I was out of honey at home. But I am glad I did! 

It's really amazing how pairing ingredients can have such a drastic effect. 

I made this initially sans lemon, but as expected, it was too strong in flavor. But as soon as I added some fresh lemon zest and a little squeeze of lemon juice, the flavor completely changed. 



An important thing to remember here is that I used soy milk. If using dairy in this recipe instead, the lemon juice will make the milk curdle so it may best to opt out of lemon and try it with honey instead!


Enough talking, let's get cooking!





Ingredients
Serving: 1

1 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla)
1/4 cup chia seeds
2 tsp dried lavender flowers
dash of cinnamon
fresh lemon zest


Begin by warming up the soy milk, on medium to low heat. You can add little or a lot of cinnamon at this time. 

Watch it so it doesn't begin to boil or burn. When it is warm, add the lavender and remove from heat. Warming it should only take a few minutes.

The lavender flavor will quickly infuse into the milk. If you like a more intense flavor, you can keep it in longer. However, if you're like me, only keep it in there for about 4-5 minutes



Strain the milk and discard of the lavender. Add the lemon zest, just a little. Taste the milk and add more if you like it. You can also add a little sugar to sweeten this up!

Then add the infused milk to the chia seeds. Stir well, cover with some plastic wrap and put it in the fridge until the next day!


When you awaken, it will look a little something like this.

Floral, delicious and HEALTHY!




The lemon zest balances the intensity of the lavender, while adding a sweetness to this pudding that will be sure to liven up your breakfast.

Chia pudding can be adapted in many ways, so if you are looking to switch it up, use the chia seed to liquid ratio that I used and experiment!

As always, I hope you enjoy!
Lots of LOVE,

Eva




6 comments:

  1. Lavender and lemon zest sounds like a wonderfully flavorful combination! I'm a big fan of chia pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill! I was actually shocked by how well they work together. It's definitely something you should try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had chia pudding for the first time this past week and LOVED it! I will have to try your version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I love chia pudding too and it is so versatile and fun to experiment with different ways to flavor it. Hope you like it!

      Delete
  4. I love making chia pudding recipes! Sounds wonderful, lavender was a great choice to use as I'm sure that was easier found than my hunt for fresh flowers!
    xoxo Sarah Grace, Fresh Fit N Healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flower shopping is definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be! Thanks for stopping by, Sarah!

      Delete