Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Love and Greek Lettuce Wraps


I joined this AWESOME recipe challenge group called the Recipe Redux a few weeks ago. It is run my dietitians and connects different healthy food blogs together.

Every month they have different themes so look out for those coming your way soon!

They also send out other ideas and challenges going on, which is where this deliciousness comes in.


I recently received an email about a challenge from the Mushroom Council.

First thought - where is the mushroom council and how do I join?

It is part of the Mushroom Council’s Facebook Swap It or Top It Contest...you can find more info at www.swapitortopit.com!

Who knew there was such a thing? Anyway, they have shared this technique called the "blendability technique" which involves taking finely chopped mushrooms and mixing it with a ground meat.

This adds some consistency and moisture to the meat, while also adding a vegetable and cutting down on some of the fat and calories from the servings. I was instantly intrigued because, if you haven't noticed, I love mushrooms.

I decided to try to make some kind of meatball blend with ground turkey.



I have tried to make burgers and such from ground turkey before and they tend to turn out a little dry and sort of bland. 

This time was totally different.

This is SUCH a cool/tasty/awesome way to add flavor and juiciness. 

I was actually shocked by how moist and delicious these guys were.

Add a little something fresh and different to go with it and you have one AWESOME dish. 

I present to you my Greek Lettuce Wraps!


Ingredients
Serving: About 20 patties

Patties
1 pack ground turkey or chicken (leanest option available!)
Fresh basil
Blend of mushrooms, about 15-20 mushrooms (I used portobello and cremini)
2 tbsp. (reduced sodium) soy sauce
Garlic

Lettuce Wraps

Bibb Lettuce
1-2 carrots
1 cucumber
Any other crunchy vegetable you like
Feta Cheese


Tzatziki

1/4 cup Greek yogurt
Fresh Dill, a few sprigs, chopped
1 cucumber
Fresh lemon juice, about 1 tbsp
Finely minced garlic, 1-2 cloves


To begin, you need to FINELY chop the mushrooms. If you have a food processor, this will be a lot easier but if not, it just takes a little chopping. It should look a little something like this.



Once these are all chopped up, saute them until brown and cooked through.

Then add them to your ground meat. Add the soy sauce and about 2-3 cloves of finely minced garlic. Add a little salt and pepper. 

Take about 8-10 leaves of basil, chop and add into the meat!






Make a small patty and saute in a little olive oil on medium heat, about 5-7 minutes each side until beautifully grilled. Taste the first one for salt and pepper, and add according to flavor. If you like it, saute the rest!


The tzatziki is easy. Just add all the ingredients in a bowl.

The cucumbers can be grated, but if you do this, make sure to drain some of that extra water that will come out of the cucumbers. 

Add the yogurt, dill, lemon juice and garlic. 

As always, season with salt and pepper. 


Once they are done, plate your lettuce wrap components with the bibb lettuce, julienned carrots, cucumbers and some fresh basil. I also added a little red cabbage.


Serve with tzatziki and crumbled feta.


Pile it up together and ENJOY! 

Savory, juicy and so fresh. 

Loved this recipe.

You can make the patties and use different vegetables for the lettuce wraps, based on your likes! 

This is an amazing, gluten-free, guilt-free, diabetes friendly dish.

Also, it tastes AMAZING. This is not your usual bland turkey meat patty.


You HAVE to try it. You will not regret it.

Trust me.

As always, hope you enjoy!

Lots of LOVE,

Eva




By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by The Mushroom Council and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Eva! Welcome to the Recipe ReDux! I think you are really going to like it. I have been a part of it for a few months now, and its a really great group of bloggers!

    This recipe looks delicious by the way! I wonder if it would work well with ground pork instead of turkey, since I have pork at home. Maybe I'll give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! Thanks for checking out my blog! I'm really excited to join the Recipe Redux, love the ideas that I get from it already. I'm sure this would work with pork, I don't really eat it so I'm not positive but the flavors should work well with other ground meat. Love your blog too! Looking forward to reading more!

      Delete
    2. I made it tonight with the pork and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe Eva!

      Delete
    3. Awesome! Glad you liked it!!

      Delete
  2. So great to have you on board with ReDux and love that you just dove into this Mushroom Council recipe challenge - this is creative and delish looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! It added the freshness that brought the dish all together.

      Delete