Friday, May 30, 2014

Love and Rolled-Up-Stuffed-Up Eggplant

I have a confession to make.

I usually (and by usually I mean always) wing it when I'm cooking.

I have an idea and I just throw it together. There have been times when it was not so good in the end.

THIS WAS NOT ONE OF THOSE TIMES.




This may just be one of the best things I've ever made.

This yummy eggplant is rolled and stuffed with a mixture of mushroom, kale and garlic, then topped with a tasty tomato sauce and sprinkled with some parmesan cheese! 

You might have noticed that many of my recipes consist of basically the same ingredients...

Kale, mushrooms, garlic...sometimes broccoli, eggplant and almost always, cheese.

That is because these are the ingredients that we buy every single week.

It makes it that much easier to put something together that is healthy and tasty when you already have the ingredients.

It's my rule of thumb whenever I cook..."what veggies can I add?" and I just so happen to have tons of veggies at my disposal in the fridge.

Shopping smart is key.



This dish is vegetarian and gluten free. I served it with a brown rice/quinoa mix we had but it would be delicious with pasta, couscous or even with some grilled chicken.

It is a little tedious but it is well worth it in the end.



Ingredients
Serving: 8-10 roll-ups

For the Eggplants

2 baby eggplants
1 pack chopped mushrooms (or whole, you can chop them at home)
2 cloves garlic
Handful of kale, about 1 cup chopped
Parmesan cheese (optional)


The Sauce

1 can tomato sauce (I bought this brand, look for something low in sodium)
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp half and half (optional)



1. To start, you'll want to slice the eggplant long way. Not too thin but not too thick. Once you cook it, it will shrink but you want to make sure you can still roll it.

Put it on a sheet and sprinkle the eggplant with salt on both sides and set aside.


This allows the eggplant moisture to be sucked out. If you have the time, an hour is ideal for this. But I just did it while I prepped/cooked the stuffing.

2. Begin to cook the mushrooms in a little olive oil. I chopped the mushroom into even smaller pieces so it would be easier to stuff the eggplant. Once it is almost cooked, add the garlic and kale. Don't forget to season with salt and pepper to taste! 

3. Once this is done, you can set this aside and begin to cook the eggplant.

Before you begin, wipe the salt off the eggplant. When you saute it, the eggplant will soak up any moisture so you have to use a little extra olive oil so that the eggplant isn't too dry.

4. This is the fun part. 

Add a spoonful of the veggie mix into the middle of the eggplant. 


Roll that baby up!



The sauce is pretty simple. Saute some garlic in a little oil (you can also saute onions). 
Add the canned sauce and taste. You can also use a jar sauce you like.

If it is a little acidic, add a little sugar. It probably doesn't need much salt but make it taste how you love it. Once it is done, add the half and half. 

I used half and half because I happened to have that already. You can use heavy cream if you want it creamier, or none at all. 

Delicious either way!


Pour that sauce over the eggplant and eat it up!

So so good.

So good.


Hope you enjoy! 

Lots of LOVE!

Eva


No comments:

Post a Comment