Thursday, May 8, 2014

Love and Kale&Beet Salad





This salad was DELICIOUS and so healthy.

Salads get a bad rep sometimes. I personally love them (which I am sure is no surprise) but salads can be exciting too.

The thing I love most is adding different ingredients together to make an explosion of flavor.

It doesn't have to feel or taste bland.



Many times, salads become very unhealthy, especially in restaurants.

A few things to keep in mind when ordering/putting together a salad --

1. Dark, leafy greens should be the base, if it's an option! Spinach, mixed greens, kale, etc. 
2. Unless you are craving it, avoid fried toppings like chicken tenders. Stick with lean proteins like grilled chicken, fish, tofu or hard boiled egg.
3. If you are at home, make your own salad dressing.
4. If you are out to eat, pick a vinaigrette or oil and vinegar. Of course, unless you are craving it. I love me some caesar salad, so if I want it, I'll get it! 
5. Add lots of veggies!
6. If you love cheese, use cheeses that have strong flavors. I'm talking feta, blue cheese, parmesan, gorgonzola, etc. You can use less of it without skimping on the flavor.

Make it how you LOVE it.

Nothing is quite as satisfying as making a delicious salad at home and not spending $17 like I probably would at the Whole Food's salad bar.

I go seriously crazy at that thing sometimes. It's bad.

So without further ado, I give you my Kale&Beet Salad Extravaganza!


Ingredients

This will make about 1 serving size. So if you want to make more to share, double the ingredients.

For the Salad
Kale
Spinach
(Use as little or as much of these two as you'd like)
1 Beet, boiled and peeled
1-2 mini yellow peppers (or 1/2 of a big one)
Crumbled feta (as little or as much as you'd like)

For the Vinaigrette 

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt&pepper, to taste
sugar or honey, to taste

So let's start with the vinaigrette.

You want to add the oil, balsamic and mustard into a small bowl. Begin to whisk together (with a fork) and add the salt/pepper. Taste a little bit of it.

If it tastes acidic, which it will, add a little sugar or honey. Whisk and taste again.

Adding some sweetness to an acidic food will help balance that flavor. It shouldn't take too much.



Once that is done, add the vinaigrette to your kale and spinach.

Begin to massage it into the greens. Yes, I mean physically use your hands to massage it into the greens. This is especially for the kale. It helps break it down a little and soften the kale.



Set this aside as you prepare your pepper and beets.

The beets are pretty easy...you'll want to boil them until they are soft. Cool them down and peel them. Slice one up for this salad!

Once that is done, add them in and sprinkle the feta. 

Mix it all up and try not to inhale it.




Delicious!

I also added a little shredded chicken we had leftover, so feel free to add any proteins or nuts. Pistachios are amazing with this.


But as always, make it how you like it and LOVE it.

Well, that is all from me for today...I hope you enjoy!

Lots of LOVE,

Eva



No comments:

Post a Comment