Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Love and Stuffed Eggplant


It is MAY!!! Can you believe it? I can't.

The weather has been pretty fabulous as of late... 

Except for the last 2 days where we have had some crazy rain.

I don't know what it is about extreme weather but it just makes me want to cook.

Okay, rain is not that extreme but given the crazy winter we just had, I think we can all agree that sunshine and warmth is all we want.

But alas, Love and Grub is here to save you with some DELICIOUS food to take your mind off the weather (and whatever way more important things you have going on in your life) for just a moment.


This was SO GOOD. I am actually pretty impressed with myself. 

I can't take all the credit for this one. I found a variation of this recipe on Pinterest, but I adjusted it based on the ingredients I had. 

I will say this:
 it is a lot of eggplant to eat when you stuff it.

So unless you are huge on eggplants, I would suggest making this dish and eating the stuffed component. However, if eggplant is one of your fave go-to veggies, then go for it! 

Also, it looks so pretty when you stuff the eggplant.



There are many ways to go about this recipe and it is delicious in every way!

I LOVE chickpeas. They are delicious, healthy and a great way to add some protein to a vegetarian meal. I usually add some into my salads but I've never really used it in a hot dish. 

Now, all I want to do is use it in hot dishes.

So, I give you...Stuffed Eggplant!



Ingredients

1 pack chopped mushrooms
2 stalks of kale
1 large eggplant
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup couscous
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled

I also used half a zucchini I had left over and the next time I made this I used a yellow squash. 

Use what veggies you like or have! But I will say, this combo is pretty fantastic.





Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees.

As you can see by the pictures, I have stuffed the eggplant in a few ways. 

 I started by cutting the eggplant into 3 pieces. For the bottom of the eggplant and the middle section, I scoop around the middle. For the end piece that is towards the top, I cut it in half length wise. This gave me 4 pieces of eggplant to stuff.

Scoop the middle of the eggplant out. This may be a little tough, so you can use a knife but be careful to leave some of the eggplant skin. Save the eggplant that you scoop, chop it up and set to the side.





Put the eggplant "bottoms" or "skins" on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and put in the over for 30-40 minutes until the eggplant is cooked.

Stuffing

While the eggplant bakes, start to cook your veggies. 

Heat a pan with some olive oil and begin cooking the mushrooms. 

After about 5-7 minutes, add the squash/zucchini and then the eggplant.

While the veggies are cooking, start cooking the couscous. Start by boiling the vegetable broth. Once it is at a boil, add the couscous and remove from heat and cover it. It should be done within 5 minutes.


Once you notice the veggies are close to done, add the kale and let it wilt. Add the garlic at this time. Don't forget to add salt and pepper to taste!

Last, add the chickpeas and the couscous to the veggie mix.

By this point, your eggplant should be done in the oven.



Go ahead and stuff your eggplants! Add some feta as garnish. Plus, this brings some saltiness to this savory, delicious dish!

I also drizzled this with a little balsamic glaze, because 
1. I love balsamic glaze
2. It looks really pretty


As always, hope you enjoy!

Lots of LOVE,

Eva


No comments:

Post a Comment