Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Love and Baked Chicken & Couscous

Well, February was one busy month for me! As evident by my 2 little posts, I haven't really had a chance to try any new recipes.

A few REALLY exciting things have happened though.

My wonderful, beautiful, amazing cousin Olga got engaged to her pookie, Scott!!!
I am so excited and happy for them, and they both deserve all the best in the world.
Can't wait for the wedding!


One of Steve's very best friends, Pat and Jen, got married last weekend! That was such a FUN wedding, if I do say so myself and they both looked so amazing, especially the bride! Not to mention, their son was literally the cutest ring bearer ever.


A big CONGRATULATIONS to both Olga & Scott and Jen & Pat! 
Love you guys!

It's funny because I've read all the various "20 signs you are in your twenty's" posts on Thought Catalog, Buzzfeed, etc. and they all tend to mention how everyone you know is getting married...and the truth is, it really starts happening, one after the other. 

You may have also noticed there is a little addition to my logo. 


I thought this was the perfect image for my blog. Apples have long been seen as an image of health...we all remember, "an apple a day, keeps the doctor away" and it is one of my favorite fruits. Plus, it has a heart in the middle and apples make me think of warmer times. 

Love it. 

So even though all this snow has really been a downer, love is in the air and spring is on it's way!
I must say, life is moving fast. 

I am now into my second year of grad school. At times, it feels like it has taken forever but it has flown by. 
Since I am a student at Drexel University, we have the quarter system. I will be finishing my Winter quarter within a week or so which means I have one big quarter left with 3 classes, a little online class to take, and one final class in the upcoming fall and I am DONE with schooling.

Well, kind of. I'll then hopefully be chosen for this little ol', extremely important internship that will FINALLY allow me to become a Registered Dietitian. After I pass another exam, of course. 

It never really ends, does it? Anyway, I am very excited to be more than half way through grad school. It has been one long journey of education and I am excited for the next chapter to begin soon.

Which reminds me, thank you to everyone who commented on my Facebook with your favorite foods and ideas for the blog!!! 
I promise I will get to all of them but since I am about to hit my finals week and am a little bit broke, I decided to go with a recipe of foods I already had at home! 

This one was DELISH. 
I also bought this new baking dish which made this look even better!
#thisiswhyimbroke

Without further ado, I present to you, baked chicken and couscous.



 As you can see, I used whole-wheat couscous, low-sodium vegetable broth, mushrooms, garlic, carrots and chicken breast.


Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. 
You'll want to chop some garlic before you start and have your mushrooms/carrots ready as well.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add some oil to your skillet and cook the chicken on both sides. Cook the chicken about half-way. While on your second side, add the garlic to the skillet. Make sure you turn your burner down so it doesn't burn.

In the meantime, add 1 cup couscous and 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth in your baking dish. This one is medium sized. 
Then add the chicken on top of the couscous.



In the same pan you cooked your chicken, add a little bit of olive oil and begin to cook your mushrooms and carrots. This should only take a few minutes.

Once the veggies are a little grilled and looking tasty, add them atop the chicken. I added a little more broth over this, as to not dry out the couscous/vegetables. 

Add a little salt and pepper and put that baby in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.



This was TASTY. Serve it with a salad to add a little freshness.

Stay warm, good luck to anyone who is also a Drexel student in the weeks to come (and any other students, actually) and as always, I hope you enjoy!

Lots of LOVE,

Eva



No comments:

Post a Comment