Sunday, January 5, 2014

Love and Tacos

TACO NIGHT! We love taco night...which we tend to have more than one night a week. There are many reasons why tacos are a great choice for dinner. 

It's super easy.
It's super delicious.
It's super healthy...if you do it right.

Now, don't forget to make them how you love them. If you love it with lots of cheese, do it. Make it delicious. Make it how you want it. 



You can see in the photo above all the ingredients I used, minus the bananas, coffee and potato. I like to make veggie tacos, but usually if we have leftover chicken or anything, I will warm that up too. The tortillas are small, corn tortillas. I really love mushrooms so that is a must have. I decided to add brussel sprouts, which I sliced thinly, as well as thinly sliced peppers. You can saute the veggies together, with a little olive oil. I add the peppers first because I like to cook them down a little extra. I add some salt and pepper towards the end, to taste.

Speaking of adding salt, lets talk about canned or already prepared foods. The canned refried beans on the right are really good! I don't own any fancy appliances, nor do I have time to soak my beans, cook them myself and learn how to make them refried. I wish I could, but let's be real. If you have the ability to have fresh made foods, absolutely go for it, but that just isn't a reality for all of us. So if you do go with something canned, buy it low sodium or no added salt. I promise you won't miss it! Excessive sodium intake is so common and can be easily adjusted by just being smart. 

You might have noticed the weird bag in the back of the ingredients photo. That's rice. Love rice. I like to cook it with veggie broth, which adds so much flavor. As you can guess, I buy the broth with low or no added sodium. 

Seriously, I want you to be able to eat what you want and ENJOY it. But it's important to be knowledgable about our foods so we can make good choices too. If you can limit the sodium intake by simply buying a slightly different product, it won't hurt the taste of the food. I can assure you that. 

This is what you can get at the end of all that...


Take the tacos and pile it up as you please! Guess which taco is mine and which is Steves?


I can usually eat about two of these. I pile mine with rice, refried beans, veggies, avocado, salsa, sour cream and little tabasco. So delicious. 

I know tacos don't always seem like the healthiest, but it is an easy way to incorporate a lot of veggies into your meal. Use whichever veggies you love. Incorporate some fresh tomatoes, spinach or onions. One of first things Steve and I bonded over was our mutual hatred for onions, so you won't be seeing any of that here!

Enjoy every second of it and when you start to feel full, slow down. It kind of sounds like a burrito and essentially has the same components, but by using the smaller tortilla, it helps with maintaining good portion sizes. 

Hope you enjoy!

Lots of LOVE,

Eva



No comments:

Post a Comment