Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Love and Soy Honey Garlic Glazed Chicken

That's right. I said Soy Honey Garlic Glazed Chicken. Before I get started, I have to admit this is not my original recipe. This is a dish that one of my very best friends used to make for us in college all the time and I have to give her 100% props on this one. That person would be my girl Natalie, who currently lives in Chicago and who I miss dearly. However, having this dish brought me right back to our little apartment we had in North Philly that was literally falling apart at all times. It was kind of gross, but it was our little home!

This recipe is SO easy and a good way to add flavor to chicken. We eat grilled or baked chicken all the time and this was a nice little change up. Some readers who have known me in the past may be a little confused because for about a year and a half, I was a vegetarian. Truth be told, I ate MOSTLY vegetarian. As per my philosophy on eating, I never wanted to feel like I was on a diet so if I was craving something non-vegetarian, I would eat it. 

Inevitably, because of my new graduate school schedule matched with working at a restaurant/bar, eating a vegetarian diet just was not enough for me to feel healthy. I like to eat healthy but sometimes the healthier meat-free options did not keep me full for very long and it just wasn't an option with my schedule. I also didn't want to live off the very little options at my restaurant, like vegetable quesadillas, french fries nor did I want to just eat greek salads every day (but if you ever go to Kitchen Bar Restaurant in Abington, PA, I HIGHLY recommend our Greek salad!)

Little by little, I began eating more chicken and now I eat it several nights a week. I eat fish too. But as you may have noticed, many dishes I make are still vegetarian because I love me some veggies. It wasn't working for me at this point in my life, but if you are a vegetarian, vegan or barely even eat veggies and it works for you, then keep it up. Adding veggies to your diet never hurts.

The message I want you to take from this is DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.
 People used to see me eat meat and quickly fire at me, "I thought you were a vegetarian!" but I don't need a label and neither do you. Eat what you want, when you want it...and don't forget to LOVE it.

I digress. Back to the chicken.


So easy. Only 4 ingredients: soy sauce, honey, fresh garlic and chicken. For this recipe I used drumsticks but I think I would like to try it next time with skinless chicken breast. This would probably be awesome with tofu or a mild fish like tilapia too. The glaze can be made as just a sauce which can be used to top any good protein.

You will need to mince the garlic, which essentially means just chop it up into little pieces. It should look like this.


Once that is done, add a good amount of soy sauce and the garlic in a sauté pan. Turn it on LOW heat and add the chicken. Once the chicken is in, drizzle some honey. You'll want to keep it on LOW heat with the pan covered. I turned it up a little towards the end to give my chicken a good crust, but it was still medium-low heat. I also periodically turned the chicken so that the sauce covers all ends and then drizzled a little more honey.  

It will cook for about 20 minutes or so. If you notice the sauce starting to burn up, stir the chicken in it and then you can add a little more soy sauce. Consistently turn the chicken so that you are getting a good glaze on it. I did it about 6-8 times throughout the whole process. Once the chicken is all cooked, plate it and drizzle the remaining sauce over it.


Delicious. Thank you Natalie for the inspiration! 

Serve this with some veggies and salad. Or rice. Whatever you are feeling at the moment. 

I hope you enjoy. Any comments or question, don't be shy.

Lots of LOVE,

Eva


No comments:

Post a Comment